Saturday, February 14, 2009

Astanga

This morning, I woke up at 7 a.m. and set up my mat next to MB Buddha in the front room downstairs. In the morning hours, clear, white light streams in through the east-facing dining room window. Through the west-facing windows, I can see the houses across the street lit by the rising sun. Since the weather warmed up, I've started hearing birdsong from the back yard. It's a nice atmosphere for practice.

I did the full Primary Series today, led by the Sharath CD. I moved through all poses, only substituting my usual three. For the first time in a while, I did Garba Pindasana. I wasn't sure how I would negotiate the rolls with various furniture crowded around me. I was afraid I might have to rename it “Hit My Head on The Coffee Table Pose”. Somehow, I managed! ;-)

I'm no closer to recovering my bind in Kurmasana, but I was surprised to notice that I actually seem to be making progress in Hanumasana (not part of the Series; this is a personal project I've been working on in my practice).

Over the past two years, I've had a recurring dream about doing this pose, being able to slide effortlessly into the splits. I keep hoping (and stretching), but I think this is my year!

1 comment:

Flo said...

Hanumanasana is so intriguing to me. When I practiced with Dharma Mittra earlier this year alot of his students float effortlessly into this posture. I of course modify but love to see the transition.
I am hoping tomorrow I get on my mat for full primary. I made it to mysore class on Friday but took today off.
Have a great weekend.