(pictured: Mango Blueberry Almond muffins)
3/4 cup soy milk (unsweetened is best)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 medium ripe banana, mashed
2 cups all-purpose or whole wheat flour
1/3 cup sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 heaping teaspoon cinnamon
1 medium apple, peeled, cored and chopped
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or chopped almonds
Swap out ingredients to jazz them up:
To make blueberry muffins, reduce Cinnamon to 1/2 teasposn and add a teaspoon of pure vanilla extract. Replace the cup of raisins with a pint of fresh blueberries. Add 1/2 cup of walnuts or another nut (slivered almonds are great).
I've also used mango, strawberries or dried cranberries (the sweetened kind).
Make them healthier! (my yoga teacher 'adjusted' the recipe):
Use whole wheat pastry flour in place of white flour
Replace vegetable oil with coconut oil (melted in a pan first)
Agave can be used in place of sugar, same amount
1. Preheat the oven to 400 deg. F (205 deg. C.). Grease 12 medium muffin cups.
2. Gradually stir the oil into the mashed banana, then add soy milk and mix thoroughly (it will be a bit lumpy)
3. Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a bowl, then stir in the wet mixture until just combined (don’t overmix!)
4. Fold in apples and raisins.
5. Divide batter equally among the muffin cups.
6. Bake until the tops begin to brown slightly, about 17 - 20 minutes.
7. Immediately remove from the pan, allow to cool.