Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Astanga

I think we have a winner! I woke at 5:30 a.m. and was on the mat by 6:30, finished with my practice a little after 8:00. I had a great practice! Very little futzing and everything flowed.

If you're thinking, "Hey, isn't that the same schedule you were on before?", you would be correct. I've always been an early-bird ashtangi. Now that I'm finally starting to adjust to the long practice, I think I can move back into my comfort zone.

Of course, this means that I absolutely MUST get to bed early so I can get 8 hours of sleep, minimum. I work most evenings, so this is tricky. I'm often so wired after teaching that I can't settle down to sleep. Chamomile tea has helped sooth me before so I'll try it.

And I need to schedule a nap during the day. I think I'll do this after lunch.

Dropbacks were fabulous this morning. The first two were by my usual standards (I can feel the bar raising on these). Today's Big Awesome was my last dropback: I was able to find a solid hang-back, then lightly place my hands on the floor.

Standups from the futon were atrocious. How is it possible that something I was doing quite easily yesterday, I can't even fathom today? This is definitely a two-steps-forward-one-step-back process. I gave it four solid tries then gave up. I had one good standup out of all that.




It's so beautiful out right now. The leaves are a cacophony of bright colours, my favourite time of year!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

6 comments:

fivefootwo said...

Looks like you're collecting a bunch of awesome! Very happy for you. Enjoy the color riot Beautiful pic.

Claudia said...

Winner indeed, great to find your comfy zone again... As per the futon part, let's not even go there!!! So good that you are now hanging low before dropping to the floor too, so happy for you! I am right behind you!

Christine said...

I'm still wrestling a bit with when to sleep vs when to practice too!...glad it's not just me. :)

Grimmly said...

8 hours! envious. We practice at the same time. I'm up at 5:30, make M. her lunch, on the mat 6-8. Trouble is my beloved doesn't tend to get home until 22:30 so I don't get to bed until sometime between 11 pm, six hours if I'm lucky

Kaivalya said...

Thanks everyone! I'm still getting my head wrapped around the idea of dropbacks that aren't scary and don't involve headwhomps.

@Christine
I think a typical group of Ashtangis could always form a chapter of 'The Society of the Sleep-deprived'. If we don't have Nadi Shodana insomnia, we have early morning practice to take away our hours of snooze! On the bright side, we're bendy :-)

@Grim
Not always 8 hours. That's why I've been napping. And I know that I'm tired because I fall asleep immediately! It's worth it, I think, but boy do I miss the sleep!!

Claudia said...

Nadi Shodana insomnia? really? I had never heard of that, and THAT explains things... hmmm... no wonder!