Sunday, October 10, 2010

Astanga

And the disorientation continues! Today feels like Monday!

I was struck with nagging insomnia last night, but woke before the alarm this morning. I took my time and stepped on the mat around 9:30. Seems my practices are getting later and later with my new, wacky sleeping patterns.

I had a good practice with an easy start and minimal futzing. All of the binds are solid this week, including Supta Kurmasana. Marichyasana D was actually comfortable, and I don't often say that!

Ditto for Pasasana. The bind was so effortless that I stepped it up a bit. I grabbed mid-hand, working towards the wrist. I'm not there yet, but this is how it starts. I also flattened the towel under my heels a bit more.

I'm wondering if the problems I had binding Mari D and Supta K last week (and the nagging cramp I now have in my right shoulder, where Nitara, my gremlin, is now living) is an opening of some kind.

Backbending was good, dropbacks were great. Standing up from the futon was easy-peasy.

So I decided to step it up a notch and remove the cushion from the futon, subtracting about 10 centimetres of height. Definitely harder! And crash-landing on the bare pine frame is MUCH more punishing than landing on the soft futon cushion. *ouch*

With this lower height, I have to rethink my strategy. Before, simple momentum did the trick. Now, in order to successfully stand up, I need to keep my head back and think "UP and FORWARD" as I rock up. This is forcing me to confront my fear of the 'knee crash' (which scares the heck out of me for some reason).

Any flakiness whatsoever spoils the whole thing (I don't come up, or I fall backwards again).

I managed one successful 'stand up' from my new launch pad. Who knew that 10 centimetres could make such a difference? I have my work cut out for me this week!

I'm back to 3 minute holds in Sirsasana. I tried 4 minutes, then 3.5 minutes but finally settled back to 3. This duration seems challenging enough for the time being. I don't want to sap ALL the bliss out of my finishing!

Six day week ahead! Fasten your seatbelts...


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

fivefootwo said...

I don't have a twitter account but I hope you bought flowers for your table.

Happy Thanksgiving

Kaivalya said...

@fivefootwo
It was a quiet, but fun meal. No flowers because I'm allergic, but I did make a bouquet of autumn leaves for a centerpiece!