Sunday, December 6, 2009

Astanga

Sunday is usually my Day of Lazy, but not today.

I had to reschedule a private for the afternoon so I was up early doing my yoga practice and I had to take Princess Fur back to the city around noon.

I did a very strong and steady half-Primary this morning. It was the best practice I've had in days, which is a surprise, given how poorly I slept.

My low back has been feeling cranky and I have no idea why. I'm feeling even busier than I was before, which is bizarre, given that 5 of my classes are on hiatus until January. Seriously, what gives?

Anyhoo...it was slim pickings for The Internet Asks this week, but I managed to drudge up some moderately interesting keywords from my access stats.

difference between paschimattanasana and paschimottanasana
Apparently, there is! I learned this during my one and only visit to Shala Central. Paschimottanasana is apparently pronounced Paschimattanasana by Sharath and he's pretty militant about enforcing this pronunciation.

See? This is a good argument for why I should go to a shala! I'm missing out on all this great gossip!

grimmly ashtanga
Used as an adjective, 'grimmly ashtanga' is how I practice when I'm sick or hungover
Used as a noun, this refers to the Ashtangi formerly known as 'grimmly ashtanga'. He is now known as 'grimmly ashtanga vinyasa krama'. You can find him here.

supta baddha konasana for bad back
I first misread this as 'supta baddha konasana for bad luck' and I was thinking, “What pose would be GOOD luck?”

But yes, Supta Baddha Konasana can ease a sore low back because it opens the hips, which helps correct the misalignment of the pelvis that leads to back pain. In general hip openers are a good strategy to ease low back pain.