Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Astanga

Just as I pressed the ‘publish’ button yesterday, I received word that my Thursday noon class was cancelled, which opened up a whole world of possiblities, including a full practice on that day (and, if I’m smart about it, tax preparations). Then Transit Gods were kind to me last night and I got home earlier-than-usual after my evening classes. I thought, “Why not go to bed early? I could get up early and have some extra time for my practice.”

So that’s exactly what I did. I’m glad I was able to swing it because I’m probably going to be down for the count with my Lady’s Holiday over the weekend. And I really had some nice momentum going. I’ve been working hard this week!

Today’s practice was very similar to yesterday’s. I focused on deepening my forward bending. When I pay attention, I really noticed the difference in flexibility between my right and left legs. My right leg is the more flexible - chin-to-shin in Janu Sirsasana A and B. I’ve been binding to wrist in all the single-leg forward bends.

Lately, I returned to binding fingers in Marichyasana C in order to focus more on rotation in the pose. My rotation feels deeper now. Today, I went for the wrist bind and it felt *easy*, even on the more difficult left side!

In Urdhva Dhanurasana, I walked my hands toward my feet for every repetition of the pose. This felt SO deep, I was convinced that I would see a huge difference if I took a photo. So I did. And there was no difference at all - so much for that! No matter. I’ll keep doing the work. I have a strong suspicion that eventually I’ll see something move, because I really FEEL it.

I’ve started taking 10 minutes to do some extracurricular poses after my backbends. Yesterday, I worked on the inner-thighs and today, I stretched the hips (Eka Pada Raj Kapotanasana). Tomorrow, I’ll work on shoulders.

All in all, good times! And I’m looking forward to a good practice tomorrow.

(Here's our gal Lyn, on her special 'branded' yoga mat, with matching duds. Point that toe, Lyn!)

4 comments:

Jen Stevenson said...

Bandhas Lyn!

That's a little mean isn't it?

Flo said...

wow! I've been an absent commenting yogini!
Catching up on your posts. You *are* on a yoga streak!
Loved catching up and hope you are doing well.

LadyRayCello said...

yoga in tights -- yuck!

Kaivalya said...

@Jen
Not *too* mean! I'm sure we've ALL heard THAT one time or another! :-D

@Flo
Hi Flo! Yup, the 'streak' continues. It wasn't really intentional. I set a goal to do a six-day Astanga practice in February, and I've been doing easier styles on my 'off days' rather than taking the day off entirely.

@LadyRay
'Yoga in tights' seems to be a 70s yoga trend. Apparently, tights are their 'Lululemon'. Thank goodness for 'modern' yoga duds, eh?