Saturday, February 27, 2010

Vinyasa

I’m sitting safe and warm in my window seat, sipping tea and eating a chocolate cookie. And remembering the Tsunami warning of 1985.

I was a teen, living with my father on a boat in a marina on Oahu, Hawaii. I still remember the somber regatta of boats that quietly left the harbour in the hours before the wave was supposed to hit. For a small boat, it’s far safer at sea because the wave only does real damage as it comes ashore.

In '85, the warning was a false alarm, but this one sounds more serious. Boats are already evacuating Ala Wai marina on Oahu:


Taken this afternoon, pictured here is the entrance to the harbour. The waters off of Oahu are apparently crowded with small boats. I’m keeping my eye on the news and my prayers with the people who live in the Hawaiian coastal areas.

My practice today was short and sweet: Yoga for Weight Loss, 27 minutes with Dawnelle. This class emphasizes the chin lock in order to stimulate the thyroid gland to facilitate weight loss. I’m not certain how effective this is, but it was an enjoyable class. It moved along at a good clip and the postures were not challenging (beginner level).

I slept in this morning, so I really appreciated a shorter yoga session since I was strapped for time. This is the shortest practice I’ve done in a couple months! It's good to have a break!

I captured my State-of-the-Backbend photo on Friday. The biggest difference I noticed this week is I seem to be pushing my weight more into the hands, so that my knees are directly aligned over my ankles. It’s a better alignment and brings more of the backbend into my upper back.

5 comments:

Brooks Hall said...

The backbend is looking good!

Arturo said...

hi Kai
hmm, my feet tend to do the same, splay a bit. but your arch is a beaut.

yoga for weight loss? for me it's avoiding peanut butter.

hugs
Arturo
word verif nuterfav (yea sure, that's me, someone who favors 'nuter)

Arturo said...

seems the tsnuami reaching Hawaii ended being smaller than expected

alfia said...

You are right, Kai - there is more bending through the shoulders. You go, girl! :)

Anonymous said...

I see that your Urdhva Dhanurasana is getting better every time you post a new picture.
I wish I could tell the same of mine LOL.