Sunday, August 5, 2007

Day 45

I can be dense sometimes, but even I can read the writing on the wall when it's as clear as it was on Friday morning: I needed a break. So I took one on Saturday. That day could best be described in one word: “Sleep.” I woke late (for me, at least - 7 a.m.), went for a walk, then rode my bike downtown to teach my noon class. Then I came home and went to sleep.

And I slept, and slept. I woke around six-ish and went out for the evening, but even with all that napping, I was still able to drop into bed, dead exhausted, and fall asleep immediately around midnight. I simply needed the rest.

I practised this afternoon and the quality of my practice was in marked contrast to Friday. I was full of energy, felt strong and fluid and focused. I had my best Primary Series in ages. My knees feel great and I did all of the Marichyasanas! My back was happy and I gratefully fell into deep forward bends. I soared into three open, joyful backbends.

My hamstrings were flexible. I am SO close to Kurmasana and Supta Kurmasana!!! I'm inches away from binding my hands behind my back in the latter - so exciting!

Even Supta Konasana felt good today. Everything just felt so good.

I'll see how it goes in the coming week, but while I'm working this contract, I think I'm going to start taking a break on Saturdays. Because of my teaching schedule, I can't really change the time of my practice during the week - it really needs to be in the morning. I would rather keep this consistent because I'm afraid if I vary it, my routine will fall apart.

No comments: