Saturday, June 2, 2012

Empty

Puttering around downtown yesterday on my bicycle, I passed by Shala North's May 'satellite location' and saw this:


Aw!!! It's now just another empty storefront...sad!

Although it would have been fun to continue to practice with DR and the Shala North crowd, summer is not the ideal time for me to do that. I rely on my bicycle for transportation and Shala North is waaay too far north for me to commute.

So, it was with a bit of irony that I rode downtown yesterday and signed up for a month at Shala South, a place a *never* thought I would end up (on the Astanga-tradition-spectrum, South is decidedly 'non-traditional'). It's not completely unprecedented, though - I've been attending the odd class and workshop there for a couple years, so I know the teachers and I'm familiar with the schedule.

And oh, the schedule! It's turning my carefully orchestrated routine right on its head! For the last few years, I've been an early-morning practitioner, rising before dawn and stepping on the mat before 6 a.m. My whole life is predicated on this routine.

But for the next month (and possibly through the summer), I'll be practising in the late afternoon and evening hours. Just to keep things interesting, a couple times a week, I'll attend the 6 a.m. Mysore. I'm also adding two led classes to my schedule. There's no mat storage so I'll be hauling my Manduka around town with me...OOF!

I attended my first evening Mysore session there today and it was great: packed room, good energy and OMG the heat! I love a hot room, especially one that's fueled by the heat of group practice. The teachers are skilled, the adjustments informative. I think I'm going to have a good month there!

(This post is part of the June photo project)

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad


No comments: