Thursday, April 2, 2009

Vinyasa

To my surprise, I really bounced back today in a big way and dove right into a backbending practice. Yes, backbends!

I warmed up with sun salutations and a few standing poses, did one hip opener and then, spontaneously came into Urdhva Dhanurasana. It felt so good, I did it again. And again. In between each backbend, I came into Baby Turtle. I did this about 10 times, holding the backbend progressively longer.

I also used the wall and practised drop backs and experimented with hanging back.

My teacher once told me that backbends are helpful for cramping during Lady's Holiday, but I didn't believe her and certainly never felt well enough to follow up on the suggestion. It's interesting how my body 'craved' this practice and how well I felt afterward.

No comments: