Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Astanga

I've been in denial these past few days, but it looks like I need to face up: there's something going on with my right shoulder and it's not just my Gremlin talking to me.

This issue has been ongoing to a certain degree, but it's never effected my practice in a huge way until now. I started modifying parts of my practice yesterday, but today I found that even a simple movement like pushing back from Upward Dog to Downward Dog was very uncomfortable.

The pain is on the front of my shoulder, underneath the deltoid. I have to dig around a bit to palpitate it. It hurts at odd moment, like the forementioned Downward Dog, but also when I bring my arm over head in the Parvokonasanas. But it's fine in Chaturanga and even Uth Pluthi is fine (well, as 'fine' as Uth Pluthi gets, anyway).

By the end of my practice, I was modifying all vinyasas, taking out the jumps and replacing Downward Dog with table pose (hands and knees). I did a finger bind in Marichyasana D and took it easy with Prasarita C. For some reason, Supta Kurmasana was comfortable, but Pasasana wasn't even do-able. Ditto for Bhekasana and I didn't try Parsva Dhanurasana, figuring I pose that has me landing on my shoulder is probably a bad idea.

I gingerly did three Urdhva Dhanurasana, coming down to take a break between each. My shoulder was very uncomfortable pressing up from the floor, and the discomfort was enough that I was hesitant to make that additional push upward in order to bring the juicy stretch into my front hips.

Talk about taking all the joy out of my backbends!!! *sigh*

Fortunately, a Moon Day is coming up and my LH with it. I may take a break from Vinyasa-based yoga for few days and see if the shoulder issue sorts itself out. Meanwhile, ice and arnica are my friends. Demoing Downward Dog in my classes is NOT my friend.

I hope this thing resolves itself or it's really going to mess up my Big Plans for December. *sigh*




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Well how healthy are you? I read long ago that it was optimal for women to have their cycles coincide with the cycle of the moon. Hope the shoulder feels better.

Sweetness said...

Hrm, that sounds like the subscapularis to me. Here is a link to the trigger point pain pattern.

http://www.bbcfl.com/26-1%20subscapularis.gif

The site also has some good info on the action of the muscle.

http://www.bbcfl.com/BBCFL%20-%20Newsletters%20-%2007%20-%20February.htm

Good luck!

-L

Cabbage said...

Nooooo! I was looking forward to your Big Plans. Hope you can still make them happen! I'm sending good healing vibes to your shoulder.