Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Astanga

I think I need to make a truce with Tuesday. At the moment, it's not my favourite day of the week. Tuesday seems to be the day when nothing is easy and even simple things go disastrously wrong.

I can't put my finger on any specifics, besides a feeling of general ennui and frustration. I'm starting to jive with the notion that nothing new or important should be undertaken on Tuesday, because Tuesday kicks my ass (In other words, I should have picked a different day to install the update on my iPad *cringe*).

I've been brainstorming Tuesday Survival Strategies. I love the Hanuman Chalisa and this past summer, I set the goal of memorising it. The project stalled about 7 verses in, but I know those first verses really well because I chant them in my yoga classes (as my students are taking rest). Maybe this is a good time to take up the challenge again. I can use my unhappy Tuesdays to chant the whole thing and maybe Hanuman will help me ward off bad Juju.

Practice today was good. I realised something as I finished up my Intermediate: It's no longer a big deal. Those 8 poses used to feel interminable. In my brain, I think Parsva Dhanurasana lasted at least 10 minutes, but I don't mind that pose anymore. Laghu Vajrasana no longer lasts for a half-hour. In fact, I kind of like it. And everything else is breezing by.

On Sunday, when I was at Shala South with my shala buddy...okay, wait a minute, this is getting ridiculous. I have a few different 'shala buddies' so I need to do nicknames. I'll call this particular buddy 'Cabbage'. I think she'll laugh when she reads that.

Anyway, where was I? Oh yes...Sunday. Cabbage was doing full Primary and I was doing my Primary+8Intermediate. I breezed smoothly through my 8 poses of 2nd, Cabbage did a little bit more backbending, I did a little bit less and we magically finished at the same time. Pretty cool, eh?




Jai, Hanuman. Save me from Tuesdays. And can I have a piece of that large, vegan chocolate cupcake you're carrying?

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

Cabbage said...

Teehee, "Cabbage!" That is a very suitable nickname. I like it!! :D