Thursday, November 11, 2010

Astanga

I was up at 4:30 this morning. I actually love practising at this hour, but peeling myself out of bed is a challenge.

A strong routine is my greatest asset on days like this. I don't talk about it a lot here, but routine is one of the things that keeps me on the mat six days a week (seven, if you count my non-Astanga Saturday practice). Nothing about my practice os 'optional'. On my schedule, it's 'inked in'.

My mornings are a bit like a vinyasa, knowing exactly what comes next and following the steps on order. I don't need to think about it, I just breath and do and everything falls into place.

Just as I do during my practice, I try not to anticipate, maintaining full attention on the activity at hand, whether it's a salt bath, sweeping the floor or starting Surya Namaskara A.

Come to think of it, this is exactly how I get through the *week*. Day by day, task by task, class by class. I can't get too far ahead of myself because it gets overwhelming.

I was back to my full practice this morning, including the inversions. I found Sirsasana really difficult. I've lost my headstand mojo. I was really noticing my neck. I *never* notice my neck in that pose so, of course, I was fussing.

Backbends were mind-blowing, including Urdhva Dhanurasana. All kinds of stuff has been coming up this week, which is ironic because I've been doing less Intermediate than usual and minimal UD.

I'm feeling a huge shift, but I'm not really able to attach words to it yet. I'm still figuring it out.

Yesterday's 'knee thing' faded into the ether. I guess my gremlin was playing a practical joke on me. All was well today.

Tomorrow: Primary. And a nap! (is it telling that I'm already planning a nap for the next day when I haven't even gone to sleep for the night?).




(From 'cosmic bowling' a few years ago. Bowling is one of those things I do well with until I start to *think* too much)

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: