Monday, November 22, 2010

Astanga

During my 'purge' this weekend, I cleaned out a few storage areas, including my yoga gear. Apparently, I'm a woman of many props, with a special fondness for blocks. I have three sets! Foam, hollow wood and cork.

The foam blocks came with my very first mat, which ordered through the mail from an ad inYoga Journal in the early 90s. The hollow wood blocks were required for YTT. The cork are a recent addition - I love them and use them the most.

I also excavated a strap, two sets of toe seperators, 3 Yogitoes towels, 1 Manduka towel, 4 traditional Mysore rugs, 3 yoga mats, 3 mat bags, 2 eye pillows, 4 tennis balls (two of them encased in a sock), Miracle Balls, the Acuball, a deflated gym ball (for backbending), a resistance tube and an entire bag of malas.

And did I mention the 4 zafus, 2 buckwheat hull pillows, the bolster and the zabuton? Don't get me started on the cotton blankets!

I'm thinking I need to get rid of some of this stuff, especially the props I don't use anymore. All of these items were used at time or another, but I've 'outgrown' many of the props. I don't props very much anymore.

It's ironic. Never in my life have I had such a regular, daily yoga practice, yet it requires so little in the way of accessories. Astanga is minimalist. I like that.

Good practice this morning. It felt good to get back to my own space for after a weekend 'away'. No big changes to report.

I've returned to daily dropbacks, but for now I'm only dropping to the futon, taking great care to keep my feet correctly aligned, hip width apart. It's rough going. I no longer have The Dread, but the floor seems very far away right now. Need to get those hips to open up!

********************
This week, the 70s Yoga Ladies offer a new approach for coming up from Laghu Vajrasana: Pray!!!




I'm going to try this! It has to be better than my current approach, which involves collapsing into a sloppy Virasana and laughing at myself.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet if you take your extras to class with you your students would grab them up quick!

Yogini said...

My Ashtanga teacher doesn't really suggest props for his classes, but when I've used props in other yoga classes I've always found them useful. But like you said, at some point I might "outgrow" these props. I just wonder how much faster they will help me build strength or flexibility if I owned them and used them regularly.

roselil said...

Entertaining to hear about your now mainly abandoned props (well, it is basically always entertaining to read your blog). But today's post leads me to the question whether your way of teaching yoga has (also) changed after your own practice is now mainly prop free?