Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Astanga

I still can’t get my head wrapped around 2010.

Every time I see that date printed at the top of a page, I get flashbacks to the 2010 movie, the one based on the Arthur C. Clarke novel, ‘2010: Odyssey Two’.

I was a 14 year old space enthusiast when that film came out. More than anything, I wanted to be an astronaut and I was quite serious about it! My utter inability to understand math as simple as algebra foiled my plans, but I still loved the film.

My most enduring memory of it is the gummy bears! I bought a whole bag of them at the concession stand and ate them slowly, to last the duration. I may not be an astronaut, but I still love gummy bears.

Um, where were we? Oh yeah, yoga.

Full Primary again this morning. This is starting to feel like Groundhog Day! (oh no! not another movie tangent...I won’t do it...but that WAS a fun film...).

Today’s practice was slightly different - in a good way. I felt more focused and the time really FLEW by. The only thing I did differently than the usual was meditate before my practice (I usually meditate at night, before sleep).

I’m wondering if meditating before my practice gave me greater focus during the practice? It’s easy enough to test this theory: tomorrow morning, I’ll meditate before my yoga practice and see if I have the same kind of focus during my asanas.

For the rest of the month, I’m going to report daily on backbending because otherwise it’s too tempting to just skip Urdhva Dhanurasana. Sloth will get me nowhere with this (while updating all of you keeps me honest!).

So, today: I did all three backends. They didn’t feel great, but I did them.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I have been incorporating bridge pose instead of the Upward Bow. Last month I was doing upward bow but this month I am back to bridge. It will come back to me, I just know it. And funnily enough, I just put Groundhog Day on hold at the libray this very morning. M

Kaivalya said...

@Michelle
Ah! Groundhog Day! My favourite part of that movie is when Phil gets all cynical. He knows what's coming and he totally doesn't want to. I need to watch it again - it's been years!

Farnoosh said...

You are good, reporting on what you are doing, and yes SLOTH will get us no where. Man, I need to get back into doing YOGA every day!! Thanks for the inspiration!