Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Vinyasa

I'm far less sleepy this morning than yesterday. I was able to settle into my meditation with no problems. The nap yesterday helped and I went to sleep earlier last night.

In my meditation sessions last night and this morning, I used a new zafu, the Mobile Meditator. This is a portable meditation cushion, inflatable and folds into a small pouch, making it easy to transport. It's similar in quality and design to an inflatable camping mattress, the ones with the flocking.

I'm interested in this zafu because I would like to use a cushion at the meditation group, and also when travelling. The product was designed by a meditators and the guy who designed it just gave it the ultimate 'test run' while travelling in India. Reportedly, it passed with flying colours!

First impressions: So far, I like it a lot. The two sits I've had on it were comfortable after a period of adjustment (an inflatable zafu doesn't have the same 'solid' feel of buckwheat hulls, but once I settled in, I felt a certain sense of ease sitting on 'air'). I'll have more to say (and photos! it's orange, my new favourite colour!) after I've had a chance to thoroughly test it out. But, so far, so good. I like it!

Today's yoga practice was Yoga for Runners #1, 45 minutes, with Dawnelle (20 minute class is a freebie for those interested in trying it). Nice flow in this one. No gaps - in fact it felt like a complete class. I enjoy Dawnelle's teaching because she sometimes meanders around and breaks things up a bit, but the flow always concludes in a coherent way. I appreciated the back bending and strengthening sequence in the middle of the practice. The resting poses (mostly Balansana) were well-placed.

In these YogaDownload classes, I'm finding that I prefer to have the instructor bring me into and out of the Savasana (with a nice 'Namaste') at the end. It brings a more authentic feel to the class. The alternative is coming into Savasana with the music fading out until the recording ends. This ending feels too abrupt; there's no closure.

I have a long day ahead of me. I'm teaching four classes and I'll be on public transportation for all of them, since it's *pouring* out. That's okay, though - I can knit on the subway, and read, and sleep. I'm actually looking forward to November and a having a subway pass again. I'm way behind on my reading.

No comments: