Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Vinyasa

I played a late ice hockey game last night. I didn’t have any spectacular moments in this game, but it was very fast and rough. We played the undefeated team (Or, I should say, the formerly undefeated team, since we defeated them *grin*).

Their players were like TANKS. I tangled with one of them behind the net and I heard a teammate yell: “Just hold her there“ Like this one might do less damage tangled in my legs than in front of the net. I was a doorstop! I made a really terrific pass that almost, ALMOST went in the net (but didn’t').

Final score: We won, 4-1. But the entire time, it felt like we were LOSING because the other team was so aggressive and we were working so hard.

I was SO tired. Evening mediation was a sleepy affair and I fell asleep almost as soon as my head hit the pillow.

Morning meditation was also a sleepy affair. I was actually drifting off as I sat. I managed to rally in the second 10 minutes of the session, but I was falling asleep again toward the end. Argh.

Practice was very, very sluggish. I did Morning Flow #1, 30 minutes with Dawnelle. YogaDownload did a good job of paring the longer sequence down to 30 minutes. There was only one awkward splice - between the two sides of Flipped Dog (which transitioned so quickly, I was totally thrown off). This sequence has many backbends, which woke me up a bit.

Still feeling tired (and now with a headache), I walked the dog, finished up the last few things I absolutely *needed* to get done and I laid down for a nap. Good move! I slept for over an hour-and-a-half and felt much better for it.

The lesson from this morning: I need to be more careful to get adequate sleep. I really do need a full 8 hours every night. With adding an evening meditation practice and sticking to an early schedule, I've been skimping on sleep. My body just sent me a memo. Now I know!

In other news, I received an exciting package in the mail this morning. My new portable Zafu arrived! (No, I didn't get a Prapatti, though I've sent an inquiry to that company asking for information. More on this soon). I'm going to try the Mobile Meditator out during my evening meditation tonight.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Here is your mother nagging comment. Are you eating enough calories to sustain your active lifestyle?
Just because I care. Mom. Not your mom but a mom. Heehee

Kaivalya said...

@Michelle
Yes, I'm eating more than enough calories (it's my Lady's remember? *grin* That's when I go to town on the COOKIES). But, of course, I'm mindful to eat a healthy balanced diet, always, always.

This was definitely a not-enough-sleep issue. As soon as I caught up on sleep, I was fine. Interesting that this was so obviously apparent because of my meditation practice.

Makes me wonder how often I've been sleep-deprived and didn't really notice it because of the pace of my life.