Sunday, October 4, 2009

Hatha

Last night, I was out until the wee hours celebrating a friend's birthday, then I hoofed it around town on the annual city-wide arts festival. I finally rolled into bed at 1:30 a.m., but I didn't manage to sleep in past 7:30. I tried unsuccessfully to nap. Usually when I'm nap-resistant, it's best to just get on with my day, so that's what I did.

I picked up my guitar first thing, because I haven't practised in a couple of days and I knew I would skip again if I waited until later on in the day. I'm back to regular lessons again (my next is tomorrow). I took the dog for a walk before the daily rainstorm rolled in. It's been a wet and cold October so far!

For my asana practice, I did an easy hour of Hatha. The 60 minute Gentle Hatha #2 with Jackie is a pretty laid back sequence, though parts of it were vigourous enough that I felt some internal heat. I was savouring the long holds today. This was exactly what I needed.

But by far the best part of my morning was meditation. I'm glad I stuck with this goal during the first couple of difficult weeks. Now that I've settled into a routine and I feel comfortable with the technique I'm using, I'm loving it. It's not easy, but it's not painful anymore.

No comments: