Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Vinyasa

This morning, I was all happy and gushy about the beautiful autumn weather we've been having. Bright blue skies! Sunshine! Gorgeous fall colours.

As I was teaching my noon class, the skies clouded up and by the time I left for home, it was POURING out. Argh! I'm one of those people who hates getting wet. I have trouble finding grace in any situation that sees me dripping and cold on a street corner, waiting for a bus. I quietly recited my mantram to myself and held onto Positive Bus Schedule Thoughts. It worked. I got home.

I had a productive morning which included 30 minutes of meditation very early (if I can make it to the Zafu by 6:30 a.m., I'm done by the time the annoying constructions noise starts). I walked the dog, practised my guitar and enjoyed a new YogaDownload sequence, Yoga for Weight Loss, 30 minutes with Dawnelle.

I hadn't tried this one yet, mainly because it's billed as an 'advanced beginner' class. I'm raising an eyebrow at that designation. I don't know many beginners who could work at that pace.

It was great! I'm eager to try the longer version because by the time it was ending, I was ready to do more. There was a huge emphasis on Jalandhara Bandha, including some pranayama engaging that lock. There was Jalandhara in poses you wouldn't expect, like Parvottanasana (and where you would, like bridge and shoulderstand). It was very different from anything I've done from YogaDownload so far.

Dawnelle sounded a bit 'down' on the recording. I wonder, was she having a bad day? Coming down with a cold? Not really a fan of Jalandhara Bandha? I think it's funny that I picked up on that, given I've never met her or been in her classes 'live.' I wonder if my students pick up my vibe when I'm feeling 'under the weather'? (I imagine they probably do)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there! Just wanted to let you know I've added you to my blog roll- hope that's okay! If it isn't just let me know. All the best, Terra

Unknown said...

It's interesting and enjoyable to follow your experience with a solo home practice. Yoga to me has always equaled going to a class. There is a certain level of commitment associated with it that is more difficult to attain at home with all sorts of distractions around me. Kudos to you for keeping it up. Perhaps I will adopt your 'every day of the year' challenge for '10.

Kaivalya said...

@Terra
Not a problem! Thanks for visiting :-)

@Andrew
I have a bit of an advantage in that I started yoga with home practice. Classes were something I tried later on.

That said, technology has really come a long way and there are so many resources out there now to make support home practitioners.

If you decided to go on a 'yoga streak' in 2010, let me know!