Sunday, March 15, 2009

Astanga

We're having a nice preview of spring! I took out my trusty little folding bike for the first time yesterday and again today. I headed downtown, riding across the university campus and through preparations for the St. Patrick's Day parade.

The range of participants was bizarre. There was a Chinese Dragon, the Falun Dafa (Falun Gong practitioners) marching band and Jamaican music on steel pans. Oh yes, and some Irish stuff too! Lots of green.

I continued down to the Sunday flea market and wandered around looking at stuff, then ate brunch at a funky little greasy spoon diner across the street.

After I rode home, I couldn't bear to be indoors, so I took the dog for a long walk, then grabbed my hoop and headed to the park.

The hoop is a new activity for me. I bought a folding hoop back in February and took one class (remember the bruises?), but I haven't done anything with it since. Today, it was warm enough to practice in the park without a jacket. My hoop was so pretty and sparkly in the sunlight!

I practised rotating the hoop both counter-clockwise (the direction most comfortable for me) and, less successfully, clockwise. Some people don't bother to learn both, but it makes sense to me to alternate between them. Interestingly, I found that it was easier to hoop in both directions when I focused on my breath - very similar to yoga. When I shifted my awareness to breath, my body seemed to know what to do.

I came home afterwards and did the short form of the Primary Series. I had a great practice! I felt so calm and connected to my breath. It was lovely.

No comments: