Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Day 41

I had a sleepy, sluggish practice this morning. At one point during Prasarita Padottanasana, I caught myself thinking: “Wouldn't child's pose be nice right about now?” But I persevered.

Lately, my least favourite pose, Purvottanasana, has been feeling really good. I've also been doing a nice modification for Setu Bandhasana using a block and really enjoying that posture. These are the small moments that help me love this practice even as I'm hating it. ;-)

Using a strap for Supta Padangustasana has been making a huge difference in Utthita Hasta Padangustasana. I'm able to bring my leg up higher and I'm definitely becoming more flexible in the pose. Now I just need to work on balance, since I've taken this pose back to the wall while I worked on the flexibility part of it. This 'one step back in order to take two steps forward' approach is something I of ten do with my students. I often use props to make aspects of a pose easier in order to work on specifics.

Shoulderstand, which was feeling great last week, is not feeling so great this week. Ditto for headstand. I could barely come up with straight legs today and I felt unstable in the posture. My back was cranky too.

I didn't do my evening yoga practice last night (I told myself that I was 'too tired'). I'm wondering if that has anything to do with my sluggishness this morning?

No comments: