Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Day 35

Back to my early morning practice! I was up at 5 a.m. for my sunrise walk, then practised for an hour and a half. The time flew by. I still haven't figured out where the magic is in practising early, but when I do, the time slides by effortlessly most of the time.

My wrists and arms feel fine this morning. Well, except for my right wrist which is still sore from a fall I took on the beach last weekend (I tripped over a picnic table and used my right arm to break the fall). I was surprised to find that it felt 100% better after my practice.

My right knee is still feeling very tender and I have no idea why (possibly climbing in and out of the tent all weekend?). I particularly noticed this in all the half-lotus poses, so it looks like I'll be modifying some things for awhile. For any pose that involves a bent knee, I now roll a facecloth and put it in my 'knee-pit'. This is a trick I learned from my teacher years ago. This worked like gangbusters and I didn't feel any pain in the poses, but also couldn't go as far into them.

You know what? This whole knee thing is really raining on my Marichyasana Parade! *grump*

On the bright side, it's nice to get back to inversions. I still feel stupidly weak coming into headstand, but my handstands were good today. I'm thinking it would be an interesting experiment to add some ab work to my evening yoga practice and see if it pays dividends in my ability to come into headstand with straight legs...hmmmm.

4 comments:

Mary said...

Hey, another early yogi riser! I just came across your blog and look forward to reading more.

yogaglamgirl said...

So cool! I'm an early riser too. But 5:30 has been my limit so far, trying to push that edge a little more. I enjoy reading how carefully you're tuning in and listening to your body.

Marilyn P. Sushi said...

God bless ya for getting up so early and being so committed!

Kaivalya said...

Thanks for the comments! I don't find it easy to get up early, and I'm stiffer in the morning, but it's still the best time of day for me to devote a chunk of time to yoga. Nice to know that there are others out there greeting the sunrise with Surya Namaskara too! :-)