Saturday, July 25, 2009

Astanga

I can't remember the last opportunity I had to sleep in, but this morning did look promising! I settled into bed last night feeling happy about the prospect. Too bad I woke up at 6:30 a.m. Argh! I tossed and turned for a while, but it wasn't worth fighting. I went ahead and got up.

I had time to do my practice, so I that's what I did. Ultimately, I'm glad it worked out this way. I was able to come home after teaching my morning class and eat buttermilk pancakes and read a good book (while the rain poured down outside, what's up with this *weather*?!)

Not the best Primary Series I've ever churned out, but I got through it. My monkey mind was having a party. I was having a deep and interesting conversation with myself that had nothing at all to do with yoga. I'll bet that's never happened to any of you, has it? ;-)

I was sweating buckets. That's one thing this constant rain is good for. The humidity is high, my apartment feels like a steamroom. Please don't read this as a complaint - I love it! I wish my apartment felt like this in the winter. 'Getting my heat up' during practice was not a problem.

The Pain of the Week has exited right my shoulder and I wasn't sure where it would pop up next. In Urdhva Muhka Paschimottanasana this morning, I noticed a weird tightness in my mid back. I take any kind of back pain very, very seriously, so I spent 10 minutes laying on the Acuball before continuing on to closing sequence. The tightness dissipated and I felt okay in the closing sequence. Even shoulderstand felt good (Supta Konasana was feeling very yucky earlier).

My schedule is weird tomorrow so the challenge will be getting a practice in at all. I would like to do my full practice, but I may need to do a shorter vinyasa sequence. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Now I am curious. What book are you reading?

Kaivalya said...

@Michelle: It was the Michelle Redmond one, 'Year of Fog'