Thursday, July 23, 2009

Vinyasa

I had a better practice today. It poured all day, but by early evening, the sky was clear and the ground was dry. I went to the park and did a super-fun vinyasa style practice, one that I've been sharing with my intermediate/advanced students this week.

I began with sun salutations and a few of the Astanga standing poses. Then I moved into a sequencing that peaked with a modified Galavasana (by the way, why does one side feel great in this pose and the other feels like it will sever my tricep?! *ouch*). After that, another vinyasa sequence: Utthita Trikonasana to Ardha Chandrasana, standing splits into Parivritta Ardha Chandrasana. Then I did some seated poses, picking and choosing the ones I particularly like (read: arm balances). I closed with headstand and Savasana.

It was about 45 minutes, but it was exactly what I needed. I taught a class right afterward which was like icing on the cake. I've been feeling a little bit glum over the past few days and today in particular. Part of this may be due to lack of sleep, and also my Lady's Holiday is coming up. I felt my spirits lift this evening and it was a relief.

I find that it's hard to get back into my Astanga practice when I've taken a break from it. I realise that it's not advisable to *never* take a break (that's why it's a 6-day practice, after all). I just need to find a way to integrate regular breaks into my practice while still maintaining my momentum. It may be as simple as designating a regular day off (like I really should be doing, according to the traditional practice).

One day a week of Hatha or Yin would be good for me. Or maybe I could find a fun class somewhere and make it a weekly event.

No comments: