Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Hatha

Today was one of those days that spiralled out of control. And it wasn't a particularly *good* day either.

I was stuck downtown all day because I had an afternoon meeting. I ended up eating terrible food - both in taste and content - that was also stupidly expensive (Note to self: egg salad and smoked salmon? NOT a good combination).

Though the meeting went seemingly went well, it was troubling on a subtle level, which caused me to mentally gnaw at it for the rest of the afternoon.

The movie, Harry Potter, was a highlight though. I'm rarely able to sit still for more than an hour without fidgeting or getting up. That film was over two hours long but it didn't feel like it. I was thoroughly riveted. When it ended, I scrambled for for my watch in disbelief, saying “Already!?” I couldn't believe that the time had passed so quickly! I've read all the books and seen all the films, so I'm already a fan, but I thought that this movie was exceptionally good, beyond the usual 'Harry Potter' effect.

I went out for a big sushi supper afterward which was fun, but which ruled out any kind of yoga class (I'm hopeful about making it to some classes next week). In the end, I went home and did a half-hour of gentle Hatha Yoga after my food had digested a bit. Whenever I do a practice like this, it doesn't feel genuine; like I carelessly tacked it on to the end of my day. I felt like I was 'getting it over with' and I felt bad about that.

A return to morning practice would easily solve this dilemma, but it's not practical right now. This is a challenge to daily practice: keeping it 'real' when life gets in the way.

No comments: