Sunday, July 26, 2009

Vinyasa

I have to give tremendous props to my partner. Mid-afternoon, she took off to give me time to practice. Isn't that nice of her?

Okay, actually, she wasn't entirely without ulterior motive. A couple weeks ago, I bought two Braincandy Novels at my favourite sidewalk book sale. I had intended to read them on the camping trip, but didn't get around to it (last year's Braincandy Book was 'The Brain That Heals Itself' The year before that, 'Eat, Pray, Love').

I finished one Braincandy Novel yesterday and passed it off to my partner. Into the first few chapters, she looked up from the book and exclaimed: “I CAN'T stop reading. I can't stop!” She went home, curled up in bed and read for most of the afternoon.

Meanwhile, I had three hours to myself, a vast expanse of free time. What did I do? I promptly plomped on the futon and started reading the *second* Brandcandy Novel. And I read, and read and read. I ended up with 45 minutes to practice, after the Guilt finally got to me. But it was a nice afternoon.

For the curious, here are the two braincandy novels. Procure at your own risk; they're literary crack. Make sure you have nothing important you need to do for a few days:
Year of Fog by Michelle Redmond
(and, wait for it...)
Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult (I *love* her books)

Disclaimer: I'm not saying that this is great literature or anything, but these books are good fun. Beach reading.

I did a really intuitive vinyasa practice, 45 minutes, basically went into a flow and followed it wherever it wanted to take me. I ended up doing some standing poses, a few seated, a twist or two. Nothing too strenuous, but I made a point to follow my breath like a line of stepping stones. Very relaxing.

Then I went back to my book. Baaaaaaad! :-D

No comments: