Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Astanga

I hate this head cold. HATE. It makes my skull feel like a helium balloon. The congestion isn't too bad, but I've had an off-and-on headache for days.

I'm concerned that this could progress into a sinus infection so I'm totally rocking the neti pot this week. I'm using a formula of sea salt, baking soda, GSE (grapefruit seed extract) and raw apple cider vinegar. Three times a day. So far, so good. If it doesn't clear up by Thursday, I'll go visit my doctor.

Energetically, I'm feeling much better today. I'm back to my regular practice - 90 minutes of Astanga, full Primary Series and I felt strong. I thought my balancing poses would be 'off', but they were fine - even Sirsasana. The sinus pressure made forward bends unpleasant (unbearable, at times), but shoulderstand felt great for some reason. I was able to bind in Supta K, which is a very good sign.

I took a long walk after my practice. It's been about a week since the dog and I went to the Big Park. I noticed that the day lilies are finally blooming. Hooray! It's my favourite time of year!

3 comments:

alfia said...

I hate head cold, too. Especially because it makes the practice so unpleasant. I have to leave the room several times to blow my nose. Need to avoid it at all costs...
Kai, I was thinking of you this morning, reading CNN
http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-287373

:)

Michelle said...

Gosh Kai, maybe you should just give your body a rest and time to heal. No?

Kaivalya said...

@alfia: The weekend was fun, and different this year, not as intense because I focused my activities on Saturday. Most of the colourful photographs you see of dancing people and wild crowds are from the Sunday parade. I was chill ;-)

@Michelle: You're right. I am going to take it easy for a while and do Yin yoga. I've always wanted to explore Yin and this is a great opportunity to do so.