Today was yet another early day. I would love to say that I'm adjusting to this bizarrely early schedule, but I'm not. I was up late on Tuesday night and I took a long siesta yesterday afternoon. Last night, I didn't get to sleep until well after 10:30. Again.
Today, I took a nap, but set an alarm so I wouldn't oversleep. I don't want to get in a pattern of inadequate sleep at night and catch-up during the day. A stable bedtime is key (though I know the weekends will inevitably throw me off, this weekend in particular).
I had a good practice, sweaty and intense. I was able to bind in Supta Kurmasana (I could barely do it yesterday), but couldn't hold half-bend in headstand. Marichyasana C was easier today than it has been. I'm still leery of Bhujapidasana and I've been doing Titibasana A as an alternative to lowering my head to the floor while my face heals and my confidence recovers.
Over the past week, I've struggled with a repertoire of bizarre mini-injuries, very few of them actually Astanga related.
For posterity, here's the rundown:
- Latissimus Dorsi, right side: I don't know what caused it, but it bothered me consistently for a week, then went away as mysteriously as it came.
- Bhujapidasana face plant: Sore nose and a rug burn scab on the bridge of my nose. My nose didn't bleed when it happened, but it should have - it hurt! The rug burn is nearly healed and the ridge of my nose is only slightly sore.
- Neck soreness: From the face plant. Nothing debilitating, just a bit of 'oh my!' while looking up in Utthita Trikonasana, that sort of thing. It felt better today.
- Heels: I made the mistake of wearing new shoes last week on a day when I did a lot of walking. I was saved by a randomly placed flip-flop vendor (seriously, SOMEONE is looking out for me!) but my heels were very torn up by the time I got home. They hurt in Upavista Konasana mostly, but are slowly healing. By next week, the should be fine.
- Left hip soreness: From pulling up sod last weekend. I couldn’t straighten my left leg in Navasana, or hold my left leg up in Utthita Hasta Padangusthasana. Better today, almost gone, whatever it was.
- Right hamstring: This one has been going for a couple of weeks, actually. The soreness is like a cramp at the origin of the hamstring on the right side and I feel it the most when I'm cold, starting the sun salutations. It's always fine by the end of my practice and has been much better this week, actually.
- Right Piriformis: This one started on Tuesday evening and I'm certain it has everything to do with standing around for hours on concrete. Pigeon helps a lot.
- Erector Spinae muscles, midback: Again, another consequence of standing for a pro-longer period. I'm developing a routine of stretches and movement at work to help combat this.
And this afternoon, I'm experiencing that bone-deep, aching weariness that is most certainly my body gearing up for its monthly hormonal mosh pit, which I'm guessing will start tomorrow.
Today's verse from the Gita, Chapter 6, Verse 6:
“The mind is the friend
Of those who have control over it,
And the mind acts like an enemy
For those who do not control it. “