Saturday, June 6, 2009

Astanga

I had banana pancakes *again* this morning, though again, they were not as good. Pancake Lady wasn't there, asked guy who was filling in for her not to overcook them and he complied. The pancakes were undercooked. Pancake Lady is just amazing. I'm wondering how she always manages to get them just right. Is there is a secret adjustment to the temperature of the grill? A special method of pouring the batter? Whatever it is, it's magic and she's the only one who seems to get it right. I'm not going to get pancakes again until she's back on duty.

It's 'festival season' in the city, so there's a lot to do and I attended a conference in the afternoon. It's difficult to get my practice in when I'm this busy. Fortunately, I was able to sneak in my practice after I returned from teaching my morning yoga class before going to the conference.

I'm really loving my Saturday afternoon practices. Today was especially good. Supta Kurmasana was very deep and Sirsasana, once again, felt strong and controlled. I came up, held it for 10 breaths, came to half-bend, back up, then exited. I'm feeling less panicky about it.

Today's State-of-the-Backbend photo was disappointing:

My backbends feel deeper than they look these days. It's frustrating. As I was doing this, I was thinking “This is a DEEP backbend” but the photo doesn't reflect it. In my practice this past week, I've been consciously trying to work deeper in my backbends, walking my hands closer to my feet with each repetition of Urdhva Dhanurasana. I was so certain that I would see some progress. I guess it's a long process.

Patience, Grasshopper.

4 comments:

alfia said...

This is a beautiful UD, Kai!

You seem to have the same problem as I do, though. It is not that your arms are far from the feet, it is the straight line from the navel to the knees. In other words - tight hip flexors. Both your spine and shoulders are very open.

Koeppchen said...

Great, i feel the same when in UD. Your post came to my mind in UD, i stopped practicing, u the laptop and switched on the webcam. You can see the result at my Blog.

Kaivalya said...

@alfia: Thanks! You make an interesting observation. I've been so preoccupied with opening my shoulders and spine, it never occurred to me that the problem might be in my hips (but it makes perfect sense).

@koeppchen: Because I practice at home, I find that my camera is a good tool to help me see my progress in poses. From the photo on your blog, it appears that you may have tight hips too!

Koeppchen said...

That's true, i can always feel that tightness in Virabhadrasana I.