Friday, November 27, 2009

Hatha

The whirlwind week is ending in a whirlwind day! I feel like I've been spinning in circles since I woke. I arrived home very late last night and went to sleep very late (a combination of a post-class energy spike and a new-gadget energy spike; take a guess!).

I slept in this morning.

I did a shorter meditation session because I'll be attending the meditation group tonight.

Then I did a short, 26-minute Hatha Yoga sequence, Gentle Hatha Flow #2 with Jackie. It felt good to *move*, to flow into something more active and energetic. Lately, I've noticed something interesting about my practice, though: after these couple days of restorative yoga, I feel very comfortable settling into stillness in my poses and moving in a slow, measured way between them. I feel graceful, like a dancer.

I know a few of you are still waiting in suspense for the end of my 'story'.

I finally figured out where that Kindle came from and it really *was* for me. I was a bit worried about this, actually. Wouldn’t it have been a bummer to find out that it was all a Big Mistake and I had to send it back? I was so excited about it!

My mother, a diligent holiday-planner and deeply aware of the deficiencies of our Canada Post mail system (particularly when it comes to packages from the States), decided to order early to avoid disappointment. She figured there would be plenty of time to warn me that the package was on its way. After all, the order had to processed, the package sent, passed through customs and delivered.

It just never dawned on her that the Kindle would arrive on my doorstep less than 24 hours after she placed the order!

Apparently, the United Parcel Service has the *Mad Skillz*

But why did she send it SO early? This is so cute: My mother knows that my schedule lightens up around the holidays. She figured that during my 'down time', I would be able to set the Kindle up and figure it out. A whole MONTH!

Ha, ha!!!! I had that puppy set up within 10 minutes of opening the box! Within 15 minutes, I had bought my first book (Eknath Easwaran's translation of the Bhagavad Gita, of course!)

By the that afternoon, I made my first accidental purchase. Riding along in the streetcar, I accidentally bumped the 'buy' button as I was browsing Georg Feuerstein's 'The Yoga Tradition'. Thank goodness my 'accident' was a book I actually want! In fact, this is the kind of book the Kindle was made for: The print edition of 'Yoga Tradition' is the size of a coffee table book and weighs a tonne. I would never drag it around the city with me. Thus, I've never managed to get around to re-reading it, even though I wanted to.

So, for now, my yoga-philosophy-dork appetite is sated.

Then today, I discovered the universe of FREE Kindle books, which was kind of a relief. For all that I love the technical, geeky goodness of this thing, the hard truth is, I get most of my books from the library. And my library's e-book system doesn't yet support Kindle. But many older books are freely distributed, mostly through initiatives like Project Gutenberg.

I have a feeling that that Kindle will be able to do something my high school English teacher was never able to accomplish: get me pumped up about reading the classics. I'm in the midst of 'The Secret Garden' right now and having a great time!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Ooh, I love The Secret Garden. I read it just a few short months ago.
I am glad you are enjoying your gift. Perfect gift for an avid reader like you.

Gumbomum said...

I love, love, love my Kindle! My kids have them too (older ones) and it's awesome to send classic stuff like The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes to my son's Kindle. He usually won't read the books I suggest, but if they just appear, he'll read them.