Thursday, May 22, 2008

Day 260

This has been a breakthrough week of sorts. First, it was getting into Garba Pindasana without the Garba Juice (spray bottle) and add to that, rolling with my hands on my head. Whoa!

Beryl Bender Birch sneaks Bakasana into the Primary Series on her DVD, so I practice it somewhat regularly. This week, I managed to set up in that pose by bringing my knees into my armpits. I can come up higher than I did before (legs on triceps) *And* I now have a smooth, effortless jumpback into Chaturanga, which feels a bit like flying.

In my Wednesday evening Hatha class, I decided to teach Bujipadasana for fun. I did a demonstration of the pose first - and warned the class not to be alarmed when my forehead slammed into the floor (”Brain damage is part of the learning process - don't try this at home, kids!”). Imagine my surprise when, smoothly and with great control, I lowered my head to the floor. I was so surprised I nearly keeled over. When I admitted that this was a first, my students applauded! *blush*

Then I did it again this morning.

I also bound to wrist in Marichyasana D on both sides, easy as pie.

And my backbends feel significantly deeper this week.

All is coming, and sometimes it's coming all at once.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So fun to hear about all the little breakthroughs coming in your practice. Some of my favorite moments in teaching are the astonished looks on students faces when they get something for the first time!

I would love to hear more about the business side of teaching yoga full time if you are willing to write about it. What process did you go through to build up enough classes/students to do this full time? Any tips for a part-time teacher?

Thanks..I always love your posts!
Christine