Sunday, May 4, 2008

Day 246

Today was a wonderful, full, exciting day! I travelled outside the city for a brief (6 hour) jaunt. It was a perfect day - blue skies, sunshine. We drove out to a cute town, walked along the sparkling blue river and talked and talked and talked. There were flowering trees everywhere - it was so beautiful. The time flew by far too quickly and before I knew it, I was on the bus back to the city.

Alas, back to reality.

It was nice to get back to the mat this morning after a four-day holiday. Whenever I come off a period of not practising, it always feels a bit odd to unroll the mat and set up. But as soon as I start the first sun salutation, it's like coming home.

I set my alarm and got up to practise early, before I went to the bus station. By prioritizing my practice in this way, I felt like I was making an important statement to myself: I have a new person in my life, but yoga and making this time for myself is still a priority. In the past, I've often been side-tracked by people/work/new routines and allowed my yoga practice to slide. In the past year, I've worked hard to create a place of refuge for myself in my yoga and meditation practice. I've integrated it into my life is a very real, conscious way.

I didn't do the Primary Series during my Ladies' Holiday, but I did dabble a bit. ;-) One morning, I did a 20 minute 'wake-up' practice I found on the Yoga Journal website. I did my usual spontaneous forward bends and some down dogs here and there and I know I did more demos than I will typically do when teaching my classes, just because my body was hungry for some yoga.

Yesterday (my day off), I spent the afternoon reading and doing handstands. I would read for a awhile, then do a few handstands. Read, more handstands. I'm feeling more and more like I'm 'lifting up' into the handstand, rather than kicking up. It's a very strong, powerful feeling! I've also discovered something: In that moment after I've lifted up, but before I straightened my legs, I can actually hover and balance there for a few seconds. Exciting!

Except, my wrist was sore this morning in Urdhva Mukha Svanasana. Need to be careful not to overdo it!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Isn't it wonderful to be feeling the way you are? I am happy for you. After all it is spring!

alfia said...

Wow, that sounds like a lot of progress in a handstand! I need to catch up with you! :D

Kaivalya said...

Michelle: Thanks - it *is* wonderful. This is turning out to be a particularly beautiful spring for me! :-)

Alfia: I'm sure you're close on my heels. And I'm far, far away from any AnaForrestMadSkillz so you have time! ;-)