Friday, September 28, 2007

Day 83

I should get a medal for even unrolling my mat this morning. That's how unmotivated and uninspired I was feeling. I definitely did not bring 'my best self' to my practice. I ended up skipping a few poses in order to economize on time (I was running late) and I was generally lacklustre and grumpy. I found my mind wandering while I was holding poses. My state of mindlessness was so acute that I actually missed a pose and had to backtrack.

When I have days like this one, I wonder if I'm really benefiting from my practice or if I'm merely marking time. I guess there's something to be said for maintaining a routine, even if you're only doing it by the barest thread. Before I started this Ashtanga experiment, I probably wouldn't have practised yoga at all on a day like today.

But going forward with my lousy, half-hearted practice forced me to ask the question: Why? Why was I feeling so bad?

If I were to speculate, I would have to conclude that the Thai carryout I ate last night followed by half-a-package of Pirates peanut butter cookies was not for my highest good. Eating a lot of heavy food (which I'm not used to) did not contribute to my general sense of well being the next morning. And staying up late probably didn't help either.

I would love to say that I've learned my lesson: no more junk food! Will I do it again? Probably. That's the fun part about being human: making the same dumb mistakes over and over and over again.

Over and out...

No comments: