Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Day 67

When I started the contract, I found it very simple to fall into a stringent routine because I had to be to work at a certain time. Easing into a new (really, an old) routine has been a challenge. Yesterday, I was in a state of confusion: doing my practice felt time-consuming and impossible. Today, I felt a certain reluctance to get on the mat, but I was fine once I started. Baby steps!

My sleep schedule is completely scrambled. Last month, I was in bed by 8:30 p.m. and up by 4:30 a.m. Since the sun is coming up later and later, I'm trying to adjust to a later sleep schedule in anticipation of Fall and Winter. Last night was bad - I managed to get sucked into the Facebook vortex and then chatted with a friend until late. I didn't go to bed until 11 p.m. and I was wide awake by 2 a.m.

I don't believe in tossing-and-turning. If I can't sleep I just get up. I tackled my to-do list and the night slipped into daytime. I never went back to sleep, so tonight I'm literally catatonic with fatigue. I'm determined to stay up until 10 p.m. and get back into some kind of sane schedule!

I did my practice in the late morning - full primary series, trying to do everything (though not always succeeding *grin*). The longer practice felt more natural to me today. I wrestled with my monkey mind in meditation for 10 minutes.

I had a break-through today with Bujipadasana. I was able to get my shoulders further beneath my knees than I ever have before. My body felt elevated in the pose and the combination of my legs and arms felt strong. This feeling flowed into Kurmasana. I came into the pose in the traditional way (in contrast to my usual entry: 'my way' involves starting from a seated position instead of standing). For the first time ever I was able to bring my forehead to the floor! And to add some icing to that cake, I was an inch away from binding in Supta Kurmasana!

I'm eager to see what tomorrow brings.

No comments: