Saturday, September 22, 2007

Day 79

I often forget to note the little milestones I keep reaching in my daily practice. I can bring my fingertips to the floor in Parivritta Trikonasana most mornings, and this morning I managed to do it in Parivritta Parsvakonasana. Both of those are biggies - milestones I would not have reached if I hadn't started practising Astanga with such consistency.

Here's another one: If I start with my toes on the floor, I can jump back very smoothly (and strongly - that's my favourite part; I love how strong I feel while I'm doing it), but I never thought I would be able to jump through. This morning, I did - one leg only and it wasn't pretty (KATHUMP!), but I've learned not to be so attached to 'pretty.'

Milestones are important on days like this, when I'm feeling sluggish and uninspired to practice. I literally had to coax myself along this morning (”Okay, hang in there, you're nearly to Baddha Konasana!”) and I was so relieved when I finished. Not a good yoga day, but I suppose you could argue that it's always a 'good yoga day' when you make it to the mat.

No comments: