Saturday, January 14, 2012

Yogi Fashion Emergency

Okay, let me put this out there: I'm not a big fan of shopping. I'm just not. And I'm almost embarrassingly oblivious to matters of fashion (but realise I should probably step it up a bit). When I'm teaching, my students are looking at me and of course they notice what I'm wearing.

I'm *sure* they weren't sending me a message or anything, but over the holidays, a group of them presented me with an impressive gift card to that Yoga-Clothing-Retailer-Everyone-Loves-To-Hate. I'm not necessarily a fan of Lu's business practices, but the fact is, their stuff holds up well, fits like a dream and looks good.

Since led class was cancelled today, I took this as a sign from the Universe that I was meant to spend the afternoon fumbling around in a tiny room under flourescent lights while a perky 20-something piped up outside the door, "How are those sizes working out for you, Kai?" (Lu is nothing if not dedicated to a persistently up-beat customer service experience *forced-smile*).

Anyway, the staff were pleasant enough. I went into the store with a gift card, a battle plan and a long-term strategy. It helped a lot, kept me focused in a room full of options. OMG!!! It was overwhelming!

But I walked out with new teaching clothes (crops and yoga bras) that will eventually become 'shala clothes' when my current set kick the bucket (I'm giving them another year; this is my 'long-term stategy'). And I took home a pair of gray leggings in the softest, most luxurious fabric, just for the joy of it. Love them!

But my favourite purchase of the day was a vegetable grater.

A few days ago, I visited a local 'gourmet kitchen gear' store and asked how one might create 'raw spaghetti' from zucchini. The sales staff (a posse of three) proudly presented me with a variety of huge, ludicrously expensive and scary-looking vegetable guillotines. I thanked them politely and ran for the door.

When I posed this same question to a serene, aproned sales associate at W-S, her eyes sparkled with joy and she placed a tiny vegetable grater in my hand. "This one is my favourite!" she exclaimed with genuine enthusiasm and explained how it can make zucchini spaghetti AND big long zucchini noodles for raw vegan lasagna.

By sheer serendipity, I had stumbled across the only vegan, raw-foodist sales associate at W-S. I wouldn't be surprised if she was also an authority on Macrobiotics. I wanted to kiss her.

*Mwah*

Isn't it gorg? And I brought it home for just $12. Recipe tomorrow! :-)




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

5 comments:

Elisa said...

I knew there was a reason I liked you! First, the bitchin reply to the NYT article. Now, another reluctant shopper. I too would be most pleased with a new food gadget. My most favorite purchase in the past month is a really cute keyring holder--forget all those silly Christmas presents!

:-)

Arturo said...

gorgeous!

sereneflavor said...

My 2 faves:
One cup pinenuts soaked for one hour
1/4 cup olive oil
One shallot
Lemon zest to taste
One tablespoon lemon juice
One teaspoon nutritional yet
Salt to taste( don't skimp here)
Pepper to taste

Vitamix till smooth. Pour over zucchini ribbons, cherry tomatoes, scallion and sprouts!

Use the sauce form above and doctor it with chopped rosemary and chopped garlic, then pour over thinly sliced beets coated in a good aged balsamic vinegar. And throw some greens/ sprouts at that too.

Kaivalya said...

@Serene
Oh, yum! I can't wait to try that! All hail, Vitamix ;-)

Kaivalya said...

@Yolk E
Hello, fellow non-shopper! :-) A good gadget trumps clothing every time, doesn't it? I have the same gut reaction to kitchen gadgets that I do to electronic gadgets. It must be the geek in me! lol