Sunday, January 22, 2012

Invasion of the Dust Bunnies

Everyone has their personal tipping point when it comes to domestic chaos. My blech-o-metre is pretty hair-trigger, but when I'm busy I find it hard to keep up.

At the moment, I have only one day off per week and that day is a Sunday. I still do my Mysore practice on that day, so it's not entirely a laze-around-at-home day.Theoretically, it's also the day I run all my errands and pick up groceries, but I usually try to sneak that stuff into the week so I can relax on Sundays. And the urge to relax (read: lay in bed reading a good book and sipping chai) often means cutting corners.

Alas, I couldn't ignore it any longer: my floors were filthy. Last year, when I was practising at home every day, I kept the floors in a state of pristine cleanliness. I swept daily, mopped weekly. A friend joked that she would happily eat a meal off the floors of my apartment. When I started practice at the shala, it didn't seem as important anymore and the floors languished.

To be honest, I can't remember the last time I mopped! *hangs head*

I'm not sure what tipped me over the edge today, but I suspect it was the colony of dust bunnies that established themselves around Princess Fur's crate. I couldn't even bring myself to take a nap this afternoon - the need to sweep and mop felt *that* urgent.

And that's how Princess Fur found herself confined to her basket under my desk, completely surrounded by toys! And my floor mopping adventure turned into a epic three hour domestic blitz.

The dust bunnies have been evicted! (but not the dog)




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

4 comments:

sereneflavor said...

Kai! The most auspicious day of the year to clean and spiffy up. Happy new year of the dragon / new moon day.

Kaivalya said...

@Serene
Ha, ha! I didn't even think of that, but you're right! Very auspicious. Maybe that's what was driving me: dragon energy!

Flutter said...

I keep living in hope that one of my children will develop a cleaning OCD and takeover the house work. No luck as yet!

Kaivalya said...

@Flutter
I've been trying to train Princess Fur to sweep the floors, but so far no luck! lol!