Saturday, January 21, 2012

It's never too late to be awesome

When I was a young child, my mother used to take me to the local racetrack. I know it doesn't sound like the most wholesome of places for a little kid to hang out, but I just loved it here because I adored horses.

I'd hang out down by the track, watching the grooms scurry about and hero-worshipping the jockeys. I was a tall child (and would become a tall adult). I used to tell anyone who would listen that I wanted to be a jockey when I grew up. They humoured me with amused glances. At age 11, I was already taller than most of the jockeys!

I noticed that in almost every race, there were frontrunners. Sometimes they retained their lead and won the race or another horse in the middle of the pack would overtake them. But there were always a few horses who hesitated coming out of the gate and lagged behind for the entire race.

Long after the cheers had died away for the winners and spectators had turned away to cash in their winnings or buy a drink between races, these game competitors would cross the finish line without fanfare.

Except from me. Because I would stand by the fence and cheer my little heart out for the horses that were coming in last.

I remain a champion of valiant finishers!

Yoga, it seems, is still Wrecking Our Bodies and though it seems like just about everyone who was going to weigh in has weighed in, there *are* a few remaining responses to the debate.

Let's cheer them to the finishline:

OM My God Who Wrecked Our Yoga
How The NYT Can Try To Wreck Yoga
Article Throws Exponents Off Balance
The Great Yoga Divide
Leslie Hendry: The NYT Stepped on My Yoga Toes
Yoga Can Save Your Body



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I completely agreed :) yoga does't wreck bodies though, just like bombs before detonated don't destroy villages, it is all about the operator.

Kaivalya said...

@Ashley
'Yoga doesn't wreck bodies, people wreck bodies' ;-)