Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Astanga

It’s another beautiful day out - I’m starting to feel spoiled. March is usually such a horrible month here, but this is absolutely delightful!

Last night’s ice hockey game was very late. I almost skipped it, but since my teaching schedule is light, I booked time in the afternoon for a long nap and made the 9:30 game. I’m glad I did (even if it meant getting to bed after midnight). We won the game, 7-1. I like these easy games because I don’t have to work very hard - I just loaf around on the ice and enjoy...lol.

As is always the case after a hockey game, I was very stiff on the mat the next morning. My hamstrings and hips were particularly tight. I eased through it and vowed to just enjoy every pose. Silly but effective: Before each pose, I said out loud: “This is my FAVOURITE pose.” It worked! Every pose was my favourite today.

I did a bit of extracurricular backbending with my balance ball and the chair. I’m finding that the chair is an effective rehearsal for positioning my arms for dropbacks and a huge confidence booster. Starting with my hands at my chest, I ‘pretend’ to drop back, bringing my arms up and back to the wall. I worked on going up and down, matching my breath with the movement, like a vinyasa. Since breathing properly in backbending is sometimes an issue for me, this seems like a good pattern to establish.

After I finished, I packed up my Manduka and towels, even an eye pillow. Tomorrow is my fun day at the yoga studio with Teacher IM. I’m looking forward to the break in routine.

I’ve launched my Devanagari studies. Here are the short vowels, or ‘swaras’:

Five down, 36 to go.

7 comments:

Boodiba said...

I'm wondering whether I should get a practice / study guide for Kaanada or if I'd be throwing my $ away.

Kaivalya said...

@Boodiba
I vote for 'yes'. Even if you learn a little tiny bit of Kaanada, wouldn't it be fun, and handy? I don't imagine that the study guide would be easy to find in NY.

Besides, if you don't use it, I'm sure you could offer it up for sale on your website and have many takers!

Boodiba said...

Ah true. I believe you can get ANYthing (just about) on Amazon... not chakra tuning forks though. I had to get my set elsewhere. Because I needed them. That's right. :)

Kaivalya said...

@Boodiba
Ah, yes. I forgot about the Mystical properties of Amazon. And we have a pretty groovy Little India in my city where you can find most stuff.

But maybe not chakra tuning forks!

Boodiba said...

Me too!!! I live near a GREAT shop on First Ave bet 5th & 6th streets. My forks came from New Delhi though, via online order.

Kaivalya said...

@Boodiba
That would make sense, it *is* NY, after all!

How's it going with those tuning forks, btw? Are your chakras in tune yet ;-)

Boodiba said...

Eh I'm mostly untuned :) I got them right before I left & didn't play with them much. But I will. All my toys are waiting!