Thursday, January 29, 2009

Hatha

WoYoPracMo, Day 29.

Once again, I've dug deep into the archives of my old Gaim/Living Arts VHS Tape collection, this time stumbling across an old Rodney Yee favourite: Yoga Practice for Strength. Same 90s vibe, same cheesy Zen-ish music in the background, same Iyengar slant. Boy, he looks young! I think this was definitely shot pre-Colleen, back in the Golden Days of Rodney, before infidelity, accusations of diddling with students and the egomania took over.

I never noticed this before, but he talks like his mouth is full of marbles.

Anyways...

Part I (30 minutes) revolved around vinyasa, executed very, very slllloooowly. After so much Astanga practice, this felt like I was practising yoga in a tub of jello. Even the Patricia Walden video moved a bit more briskly. Two standing poses were interspersed in the third vinyasa sequence: Utthita Trikonasana and Parsvakonasana. The holds were very long on these, 10+ breaths on each side. I can see why it's called Yoga Practice for Strength - these long holds definitely worked the muscles in the legs.

I found this practice very, very easy. I have high hopes for Part II, which covers some inversions and arm balances (I clearly remember having an eye-rolling moment when I tried this tape in the early days of my yoga practice). Should be fun!

No comments: