Sunday, March 2, 2008

Day 202

Wow, if I followed my own worst instincts (and believe me, they were hollering loudly today), I would have never made it to the mat

On days like this, I coax myself. In this case, the coaxing took place in the evening. Around 5:45: “C'mon now, just unroll the mat. That's right! Now, 5 Surya Namaskara A. That's good! Now, 5 Surya Namaskara B. Excellent! Now, the standing poses... No! Don't even think about the Marichyasanas yet - just standing poses. Good! Keep going...”

And so on. If I approach the Primary Series in small little bites, I can usually stumble my way through the whole thing.

Alas, this reluctance doesn't apply to cookies. I ate far too many cookies today. Ug. Heavy practice. I felt like my organs of digestion were filled with concrete.

“Now you kids at home listen up - too many cookies and you won't be able to bind in Marichyasana D.” (said in my best, jovial 'Don Cherry' voice - sorry, Canadian in-joke...). Binding was a bit touch and go today.

Anyway, where was I? Oh yes...

Handstands were full-on Chewbaka, complete with the sound effects. It took me at least 15 tried to hop into the first one. Try, try, try again... Backbends were not bendy, but they were not painful either.

On the bright side, I moved through the series efficiently without undue dawdling or dramatics (today's series was apparently the 'no tears' formula). My shoulder is even feeling better. And it's not February anymore!

But if it truly is March, then why is it supposed to snow every day this week? *pout*

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Ah, the girl is funny too! About the weather, we are -28 with the windchill this morning. Ouch.

Anonymous said...

I was wondering how can you be so skinny when you eat cookies? I must lose about 15 - 20 lbs and I must not eat cookies or cake or pizza... I am doing the primary series too, and eventhough I love it, it's hard. I am not doing it as good as you, with binding and all. Starting the practise every day, for me, often I don't want to do it, but must force myself, and sometimes I just don't do it (average I do per week between 4 to 6 times, but my goal is 6 times a week). I was surprised to read you sometimes don't want to do it either, I thought for you this never happens. I was hoping to lose weight doing this, but I lost only a few pounds, and not more. I do this 7 month now and should have lost all. I like your blog, and I admire your being so organized and getting up so early and always doing the practise!

Kaivalya said...

Ah well - in the Battle of the Frigid Temperatures, The Prairies will always beat Ontario hands-down. ;-)

Kaivalya said...

Anonymous: I'm going to address your comment in today's post, so keep an eye out for it.