Friday, March 14, 2008

Day 212

Today is a classic example of what happens when I don't do my practice first thing in the morning.

Since I slept in, I went ahead and ate breakfast - of course, I couldn't practice after that. That's always my first mistake. So I sat down at my desk and caught up on some work, took the dog out. And by then, it was time to head down to the rink to skate.

Zamboni Guy told me that the rink is open until the 23rd, weather permitting, but he will only be working there through next Tuesday. This is far longer than it's usually open - apparently to accommodate late March Break weeks for some schools (It's nice for the kids to be able to skate on their break). I need to make cookies over the weekend to bring for the rink staff next week, as a 'thank you.' I also plan to go down to the rink for a farewell coffee break with Zamboni Guy on Monday morning. I can't believe the season is ending already!

After my skate, I came home and did some class planning. I had put off writing up my worksheet for my noon youth class - I needed to finish it and make copies. Of course, by the time I had finished everything, it was too late to do my practice before my class because I needed to eat lunch.

I went to the grocery store to do my weekly shopping after class. After I dragged the three heavy bags home (why is produce so VERY heavy!!!?), I put away the food, did some food prep for the coming week and that's when I realised that if I didn't start my practice right away, I wouldn't have time before my next class. I didn't want to put it off until *after* class because then it would be supper time and hunger would win out.

As it was, I had to rush it, and I didn't really do justice to Savasana. It wasn't a great practice and it wasn't a bad one. Despite the scheduling drama, I know that my practice was far better in the afternoon then it would have been in the morning (I still haven't been feeling well in the mornings).

Something very nice happened to me last week and I've been lax in not mentioning it here: I won a prize in WoYoPracMo! Yes, me! A prize! I was very excited when I received the email telling me of my prize and I had been looking forward to receiving the package every since because I love getting mail (and I love presents!).

My prize was provided by Christel, who lives in San Franciso. She sent me a lovely black silk eye pillow. It arrived last week, wrapped beautifully in colourful tissue paper and ribbon, with a vibrant postcard of San Francisco on top! I've been using the eye pillow during Savasana daily, and greatly enjoying this addition to my 'Savasana Self-Care Kit'. Thank-you, Christel! And thank-you, YogaMum for organising WoYoPracMo!

The prize!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Kai,
Why is it that you feel obligated to practice EVERY day? Man, I wish I had one fifth of your dedication. Congratulations on your prize. If you give me your address I will send you some mail too.

Kaivalya said...

Michelle: I don't ordinarily practice the full primary *every* day. January was a special project for WoYoPracMo. I did it for fun and to be part of that tremendous community of fellow practitioners.

That said, I've followed a near-daily yoga practice of some kind for almost 13 years. Even if I just hit the mat for 20 minutes, I've tried to do so at least five times per week.

The benefits of yoga are more evident with consistent, daily practice. I believe this because I live it and I've seen the results: discipline, peace of mind, and physical health.

It sometimes easy to do, sometimes difficult (as you may have observed over the past week). But I don't have a single regret about the hour or two I set aside every day for my yoga practice. For me, no time could be better spent.

Following traditional Ashtanga, I practice 6 days a week except for Moon Days and three days during my menstrual cycle. Today (Saturday) is my day off (no yoga!) and I'm thoroughly enjoying lazing around in bed ! ;-)