Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Day 204

I did another almost-noon-time practice today because I just could not get myself out of bed in the morning. I suppose if I really *needed* to get up, I would have, but I'm not teaching a noon class and apparently this gives me licence to be lazy. ;-) I need to get a hold of myself because the entire month of March is going to be 'slow' in terms of teaching classes and if I don't watch it, I'll just go to sleep and wake up when in April, wondering where the time went.

After the mighty effort required to coax myself to the mat, I had a pretty good practice. I'm back to binding in the Marichyasanas again and I can bind to wrist in A-C. Marichyasana D is coming along slowly - I usually bind to fingers in that one, but lately I've been binding to my hand.

Binding in Supta Kurmasana is second nature these days. I even do the pose in my youth classes to the great amusement of the kids, who squeal: ”You look like a rock!!!!” and then pile onto my back (adjustment, anyone?).

Handstands were actually okay today! I floated into my first one, but had trouble with the second. I sat for a few breaths and then spontaneously did something I still occasionally do when I'm struggling with a pose and feeling very self critical (and I have been lately). I put my hands in Namaste and say out loud: “I honour myself for trying.” I managed a nice floaty handstand after that.

My back was very open today and I pushed up into Urdhva Dhanurasana easily. This is significant for a few reasons. First reason: a few days ago, this pose was heavy and emotionally burdened, leaving me in tears. Also, because I played ice hockey last night, I expected that my sore shoulder might act up. I had a fantastic game, one of my best. But I noticed some deep soreness in my shoulder early in the first period (I had taken a few shots on net - I tried to hold back after that). I kinda expected my shoulder to hurt this morning, but it felt fine. *crosses fingers*

Musical Sirsasana was 'Round Here' by Counting Crows (a brief departure from my CanCon streak; I felt like doing a longer headstand).

Yesterday, the high temperature was 11C and we had rain. That's 11 *above* zero. Very exciting! The mountains of snow around the city are starting to melt. I took the dog out for a long walk and it was such a novel feeling to be outside and still be able to feel the tips of my fingers. The temperature has dropped again today and we're expecting snow for the rest of the week, but that one, precious, warm day is a precursor of things to come.

Perhaps winter will end after all!

No comments: