Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Day 205

There's a Japanese proverb that goes like this: “Fall seven times, stand up eight.”

That's sort of how I feel about my recent efforts to hop up into handstand. This morning's practice was hard to get to, but once I did, it flowed nicely and I had two very good handstands. I literally floated up and straightened my legs without even touching the wall. Victory!

Backbends were yucky (typical for an early practice - I started at 5:30 a.m.). Musical Sirsasana was 'I am aglow' by the inimitable Sarah Harmer (back to CanCon!).

I'm starting to notice that it's getting lighter, earlier in the morning. The sky was blue-lit around Tiriangmuhka Ekapada Pachimottansana this morning. It made me feel like I was 'running late'. I can't believe that Daylight Savings Time kicks in this coming weekend! With our wintery weather, those long bright evenings are going to seem a little strange! It doesn't feel like March at all - it feels like January right now.

Snow, snow and more snow. Winter Storm Warning is still in effect this morning. There's 15 cm of snow on the ground and it's *still* coming down. The storm will blow over around noon, just in time for the next storm to move in.

The snow and bad roads are going to make getting to the *5* classes I'm teaching today such a joy. *eye roll* I'll be leaving early for all classes and bringing a good book (and crossed fingers).

It's going to be a long day.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Hope you manage okay. Freezing rain was forecast for your area too. (I am not a stalker, my husband is in Toronto for meetings, that's how I know)

Kaivalya said...

@Michelle: The freezing rain happened overnight, which has made the roads particularly treacherous this morning. Luckily, I ride TTC to all my classes. I'll bet those streetcars are going to be off-schedule though. Yuck. I leave in an hour and it's pretty much a day-long marathon from there. I'll be home at 10 p.m. Eek!

Anonymous said...

Here you are! Wow, very impressive task, teaching 5 classes. That would be quite difficult, as is jumping into handstand. I'm having such a hard time with that pose right now.

It's nice to find you! : )

Mary said...

Gosh, it sounds so cold. We kind of missed our Summer for the first time in a long time with lots of rain so I hope you get yours!

Kaivalya said...

@Annabella - I'm guessing I was hard to locate because I have my blogger profile disabled right now. I've been trying to leave my name and URL with my comments whenever I can. Sorry I was hard to find! (I've discovered that when Googling 'reluctant ashtangi', I'm the first search result - that's kind of cool!)

Kaivalya said...

@rand(om) bites: We're supposed to get an early spring here, according to the Farmer's Almanac. I sure hope so - I'm totally over winter.