Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Astanga

The universe is mocking me. I was sleepless past 2 a.m. last night with insomnia and cramps, but my LH is still MIA (I'm overloading on the acronyms here because, frankly, I'm sick of talking about it). So I got up this morning to practice: tired, sore and cranky.

My cold appears to be wrapping up, but laryngitis is following close on its heels. Believe me, this is the kiss of death for a full-time yoga teacher who offers mainly led classes. I'm scheduled to teach four classes tomorrow! I really need my voice!

And to top it all off, winter is here in full force, with snow flurries, wind chills and overcast misery. We haven't seen the sun in days. The sidewalks are gritty with salt. Even the smallest excursion outdoors chills to the bone.

Practice this morning was full Primary, which is so soothing. I love it! It's hard to start, but then it's hard not to stop. It's an easy practice for me, particularly since I'm still modifying every vinyasa. Today, I recovered my Chaturanga-to-Upward-Facing-Dog, with no pain. I can do Downward Facing Dog as long as I set it up very carefully. It's not the complete vinyasa, but it's a start.

The best news: I did Urdhva Dhanurasana today, three times, very carefully. First backbends in nearly a week!

So it's coming along, slowly but surely. I'm just trying to be patient as this difficult week crawls by. I'm keeping faith with my practice and holding on to the hope that everything will be easier in 7 days.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

3 comments:

fivefootwo said...

Oh Kai, All of this sounded like a VERY rough week. I hope everything that does not belong is being expelled. That is a most beautiful photograph.

maepress said...

Try gargling with apple cider vinegar, it tastes gross, but it can help! Hope you feel better soon!

Micqui said...

Sounds like a horrible week Kai, but nearly the weekend eh :o)It's awfully cold over here too (in the UK), coldest it's been in years! Really putting me off wanting to do anything tbh! Anyway, hope you pick up soon! PS - I love the photo!