Monday, July 19, 2010

Astanga

Well, THAT practice was a spectacular FAIL. I arrived at the Shala with a headache and it went downhill from there. The headache just got worse and worse.

Supine positions intensified it. I skipped nearly every Chakrasana.

The pain reached a crescendo during backbending. I honestly don’t know how I got through that.

During my mandatory two sets of Urdhva Dhanurasana, my entire focus was on breathing. I don’t remember walking my hands in at all. I managed to do two rounds of rocking with P’s assistance. He was ready to help me with a third, but I looked up at him and said: “I’m sorry. I just don’t have it in me today.”

I *never* flake out like that. Usually I don’t mind a nudge to work harder, so it was frustrating for me. I had really wanted to work on a few things that DR had suggested for rocking, to help me keep my legs grounded. It felt like a wasted opportunity.

I raced through the finishing poses (which I usually love and savour; shortest headstand ever) and gratefully covered up my face to take rest. Even that was uncomfortable.

At this point, I should have figured it out because the light coming in through the window was almost unbearable. But it wasn’t until I left the room and a shala-mate was taking something out of a plastic grocery bag that I really clued in: the sound of that bag was like FIREWORKS going off inside my head.

I had a migraine!!!

I haven’t had one in so long, I had forgotten how horrible they are. I half-rode, half-walked my bike home, took some painkillers and collapsed with my head under a pile of pillows for an hour. The nap muted it to a dull roar and then I headed out to teach my afternoon classes with a ‘regular’ headache.

I’m feeling better now, but I’m giving myself permission to take a ‘backbending vacation’ for the balance of the day. I think my nervous system is just fried.

*sigh* I hope this isn’t going to be one of those Bad Practice Weeks.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I notice that when the barometric pressure changes after intense weather (heat OR cold) I experience face pain. I find that a dark quiet spot where you can stay as long as you like helps. I hope this passes quickly....

Mary said...

Oooh, I find it really hard to practice with a headache and can only imagine how it got worse. Migraines are a killer so I'm glad you are giving yourself permission to take a rest now hon, you need it. Be good to yourself and I hope you feel better soon.

Liz said...

I'm super sensitive to glaring light too. If a car is in front of me with the sun bouncing off the back window, I have to look away immediately or it can trigger a migraine in a heart beat!

They're awful- sorry you suffered through a practice. I believe a practice can make a regular headache go away, but think quite the opposite of migraines. The practice intensifies them.

ouch!

Kaivalya said...

@Liz
It's interesting that you mention glaring lights! It made me think of something.

The bright halogen lights were on full strength in the room this morning. When I was looking up in standing poses, they were so bright, I had to close my eyes to shut out the glare.

Then I had to stop my practice and shut the blinds because the sun was in my face. I'm wondering if all this light triggered the migraine!

It would definitely solve the mystery! I haven't had a migraine like this in years.

@Rand(om) Bites
Thanks! :-) I really did take a break. After I finished teaching my classes, I lolled around on the balcony. I didn't even go for my daily walk! Now I'm going to bed early. Tomorrow will be better!

@Fivefootwo
Thanks for the good thoughts. I'm feeling much better now, thank goodness!