Saturday, July 3, 2010

Hatha

After weeks of searching/waiting, I finally found my brass Durga yesterday as I was wandering around the neighbourhood after a sushi lunch. She’s now joined my Spiritual Posse on the altar, with Shiva, Hanuman and Ganesha. I think this may be a complete complement. More than four may be a ‘crowd’, though it might be nice to eventually add Saraswati to the mix.

From Wikipedia:

In Hinduism, Durga ("the inaccessible" or "the invincible") or Maa Durga (Mother Durga) "one who can redeem in situations of utmost distress". Durga is a form of Devi, the supremely radiant goddess, depicted as having ten arms, riding a lion or a tiger, carrying weapons and a lotus flower, maintaining a meditative smile, and practicing mudras, or symbolic hand gestures.

An embodiment of creative feminine force (Shakti), Durga exists in a state of svātantrya (independence from the universe and anything/anybody else, i.e., self-sufficiency) and fierce compassion.

Durga manifests fearlessness and patience, and never loses her sense of humour, even during spiritual battles of epic proportion.

Wow. Fearlessness and patience? Self-sufficiency? Fierce compassion? These are all qualities I’m trying to cultivate right now, along with a sense of humour (and being invincible wouldn’t hurt either!). Durga is kick-ass and I totally need her on my side!

After a comfortable haggle with the owner of the India shop (I’m very much a ‘regular’ there), she gently wrapped Durga up in a paper towel, securing her with an elastic, but carefully leaving her head exposed “so she could breath.”

I just love the fact that she was concerned my Durga might suffocate in the paper towel. :-)

Today is my official ‘day off’ from Astanga practice and I honoured it with lazy enthusiasm! When I woke this morning, I put water on for tea and went back to bed with a good book! I read for hours! Later in the morning, I did a very gentle Hatha practice just to keep the prana on the move.

In the afternoon, I did a little bit of work on my secret project. This is going quite well! I feel like I’m making solid progress and last week’s soreness has already faded.

5 comments:

Rocaille said...

Likewise: Wow! I think I have to get a Durga, too. Who wouldn't want or need a dose of her qualities!

Btw, I am reading your blog for quite some time now and enjoy it greatly. You are such an inspiration! I like your writing style very much.

Kaivalya said...

@Rocaille
Durga is awesome and I'm feeling inspired by her! My Spiritual Posse feels complete now that I have some Shakti with my Shiva :-)

Many thanks for reading and for your kind words. I've enjoyed reading your comments.

Unknown said...

Durga's mantra has been my first choice for several months now, I love this succinct description of her! I love the shop owner's literal reverence for her as well.

Kaivalya said...

@Alice
Cool! Which Durga Mantra are you using?

Unknown said...

Om Dum Durgayei Namaha

"Salutation to She who is beautiful to the seeker of truth and terrible in appearance to those who would injure devotees of truth."

from one of my favorite books, Shakti Mantras
http://www.sanskritmantra.com/ShaktiMantras.htm