Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Day 144

There wasn't a creature stirring at 7:30 this morning, as I headed to the ice rink. The subway wasn't running, so I walked to the streetcar stop. I amused myself by walking right down the middle of a busy road that runs through my neighbourhood. It's normally bustling with traffic, but between home and the station, I didn't encounter a single car.

The streetcar took me downtown and from there I walked east. Downtown was nearly as desolate as my neighbourhood. Very noticeable in the silence, I heard the roar of an engine coming up behind me. It was a big red fire truck. I waved enthusiastically and the truck slowed down. Beefy hands waved at me from the windows and five firefighters roared 'Merry Christmas' as the truck rolled by.

Zamboni Guy was at the rink when I arrived. He looked glum. The lock on the staff room was malfunctioning again and everything he needed to flood and groom the ice was in that room. The locksmith was enjoying Christmas morning with his family, but would come as soon as he could.

I asked Zamboni Guy if he'd gone out for coffee yet and he shook his head, “I haven't even had breakfast. Tim's is closed and everything is in that staff room”

I grinned and whipped out my thermos, said “Well, then it's lucky I brought coffee, eh?”

I knew that the nearby coffee shop was closed on Christmas morning and decided to surprise Zamboni Guy with the coffee. I had brewed two cups for the thermos and also brought a box of my Fabulous Butter Cookies to share. Since I like to be well-prepared, I also packed two coffee cups wrapped in a tea towel, a spoon, sugar and milk (turns out, we needed all of it).

So the Zamboni Guy and I sat down on a bench by the rink and I spread everything out on the tea towel. We enjoyed a decadent cookie breakfast and took turns telling each other our life stories as we watched people skate around in circles.

It was my bit of Karma Yoga for the day.

When I got home, I unrolled my slippery Manduka and did the full Primary Series. Good practice, no surprises. I moved through at a good clip. I added a couple of dropbacks to the three backbends I did. My backbends are feeling better and I think I'll post another 'state-of-the-backbend' photo soon for comparison.

I'm enjoying a quiet holiday. I prepared a fantastic meal around 2 p.m. and now I'm enjoying some green tea. In a little while, the dog and I are heading out to visit some friends and neighbours.

Wishing all of you a lovely day, wherever you are, whatever you're doing.

Om, shanti, shanti, shanti.

No comments: