Friday, December 21, 2007

Day 141

Tiriangmukhaikapada Pachimottansana

Today's practice was even and steady. I was a bit distracted, but I moved through the postures in about 85 minutes. I worked hard, I skipped nothing.

The push-ups in the vinyasas are getting easier, I think. A few years ago, my teacher M tried to teach me to push up to Chaturanga Dandasana from the floor and it seemed impossible. I'm remember thinking "My body doesn't do this!!!" Of course, at the time, I could barely do Chaturanga Dandasana.

I tried to push up from the floor today and discovered that I can do it easily! It was so exciting! Even this time last year, I was still struggling with that (M never gave up and pushes me every time I come to his class). So in the last half of my practice (vinyasa between the seated postures), I've added this: lower all the way to the floor, then push up to Chaturanga Dandasana, then push into Adho Mukha Svanasana (downdog).

I sense that I'm making progress towards my jump-throughs though it never feels like it as I practice (if you do a search for 'jump through' on YouTube, you get a lot of people jumping out windows and cats jumping through hoops, but you also will find this fantastic little clip. Also check out this one). I'm trying to jump forward with my knees tucked toward my chest and lightly lower my bum (sometimes, not so lightly...lol!). Then I straighten my legs after I'm on the floor. If I can master this, it's only a matter of time before I can straighten my legs as I'm coming through, right?

I think strength is a big part of this - a big part of everything. I find that as I get stronger, other things are falling into place: Urdhva Dhanurasana is getting easier, I can hold Utpluthee and even Setu Bandhasana is coming along.

No comments: