Thursday, June 12, 2008

Day 273

I ditched the Sharath CD today and did my practice in the sweet silence (or as silent as it gets in the city, with construction going on next door). I surprised myself by whipping through practice in just over an hour. I didn't skip anything, I was just quick and no-nonsense about it. Backbends were particularly good and handstands are getting stronger and stronger.

I'm now so comfortable lifting up into handstand that I'm trying to do it without my heels pounding into the wall when I straighten my legs. Next time I go to see Teacher M, I would love to demo my new handstand Mad Skillz, but in order to do this in the middle of the room with someone spotting, I need to be able to come up with control. So there's a new goal for me to work towards!

I had fully intended to listen to the new Alanis Morissette album as I was practising today but didn't get around to pushing 'play' (but that's okay, since it's literally been on constant rotation since I downloaded it from iTunes). To say that I'm a huge Alanis fan is an understatement - I was greatly looking forward to this album release.

I wasn't sure what to expect from this one, but I have to say, it's really excellent; I've been completely absorbed in the songs and the lyrics. The album is unique in that every song is very unique. The songs all draw upon different styles - ranging from lyrical to electronica - but they also complement each other in the way they are sequenced. There's a harmony inherent in the album as a whole (to the extent that the 'bonus songs' at the end are a bit of a distraction). The lyrics speak to me on so many different levels.

This is a complex album with a lot of depth. I've listened to it many times and I'm *still* unpacking the layers. Alanis is such an amazing artist. This may actually be her best work yet. It's really a work of art. *steps off fangirl soapbox*

1 comment:

Mary said...

Haha - go you and handstand! We were doing those in class yesterday, well trying LOL. I'll have to get myself a copy of Alanis...